By K. Kesava Rao
The circulate of granular fabrics equivalent to sand, snow, coal, and catalyst debris is usual prevalence in average and commercial settings. The mechanics of those fabrics isn't good understood. they're very important considering the fact that a wide fraction of the fabrics dealt with and-processed within the chemical, metallurgical, pharmaceutical, and nutrition processing industries are granular in nature. This booklet describes the theories for granular circulation dependent almost always on continuum versions even if replacement discrete types also are mentioned in short. the extent is acceptable for complicated undergraduates or starting graduate scholars. The target is to notify the reader approximately saw phenomena, a few on hand versions, and their shortcomings and to go to a few concerns that stay unresolved. there's a collection of difficulties on the finish of the chapters to motivate exploration, and huge references are given
''This e-book describes the theories for granular circulate established regularly on continuum types, even if substitute discrete versions also are mentioned in short. the extent is acceptable for complex undergraduates or starting graduate scholars. The objective is to notify the reader approximately saw phenomena and a few on hand types and their shortcomings and to go to a few concerns that stay unresolved. there's a number of difficulties on the finish of the chapters to motivate exploration, and vast references are given.''--BOOK JACKET. Read more... thought for sluggish aircraft circulate -- circulate via hoppers -- circulation via wedge-shaped bunkers -- concept for gradual 3-dimensional circulate -- movement via axisymmetric hoppers and bunkers -- idea for swift circulation of delicate, inelastic debris -- research of speedy movement in easy geometries -- idea for speedy stream of tough, inelastic debris -- Hybrid theories
Read or Download An introduction to granular flow PDF
Best chemical engineering books
Offers perception into removing particular periods of dangers, whereas offering actual case histories with priceless messages. There are sensible sections on mechanical integrity, administration of swap, and incident research courses, in addition to a protracted record of worthwhile resources.
New bankruptcy during this variation covers injuries regarding compressors, hoses and pumps.
* not sleep up to now on the entire most recent OSHA necessities, together with the OSHA required administration of swap, Mechanical Integrity and Incident research regulations.
* find out how to get rid of risks within the layout, operation and upkeep of chemical approach crops & petroleum refineries.
* World-renowned professional in method protection, Roy Sanders, indicates you ways to lessen hazards on your plant.
* study from the error of others, in order that your plant does not undergo an identical fate.
* shop lives, lessen loss, by means of following the foundations defined during this must-have textual content for method security. there isn't any different booklet love it!
The one publication devoted to membrane expertise, overlaying the entire various leading edge membrane components from separation to contactors, and relating to them as unit operations in approach engineering. the explicit power of those complicated new operations is analyzed via various specialists within the box, in regards to their uncomplicated elements and particularly to their strength software for a sustainable progress and development within the caliber of existence.
Thermodynamic estate facts are very important in lots of engineering functions within the chemical processing and petroleum refining industries. The "Handbook of Thermodynamic Diagrams" sequence offers quantity and enthalpy diagrams (graphs) for the key natural chemical compounds and hydrocarbons, in addition to the most important inorganic compounds and parts.
Solvent extraction is hired very generally in either basic learn and expertise end result of the striking good points of this easy yet very powerful procedure for the separation of alternative fabrics. The foreign Solvent Extraction convention 1990 was once a discussion board for the presentation of papers on up to date learn during this box.
- Process Dynamics: Modeling, Analysis and Simulation
- Asymmetric domino reactions
- Practical process control for engineers and technicians
- Design Engineer's Handbook
Additional info for An introduction to granular flow
10. (a) A standpipe connected to a hopper. The pressure of the air is pa at the top of the hopper and pb at the bottom of the pipe. (b) Variation of the dimensionless mass flow rate V with the dimensionless pressure rise p ≡ pb − pa for the flow of sand: ◦, data of Chen et al. (1984); —, curve drawn to guide the √ eye. Here pa and pb are the dimensionless air pressures. The mass flow rate is scaled by ρp ν0 π r 2p g r p and the pressure by ρp ν0 g L, where ρp is the particle diameter, g is the acceleration due to gravity, r p and L are the inner radius and length of the pipe, respectively, and ν0 is the solids fraction of a moving bed of particles.
These limits were called dense random packing (DRP) and loose random packing (LRP). 64. The LRP limit was obtained as follows. A cylinder filled with granular material was placed with its axis horizontal and slowly rotated about its axis. It was then placed with its axis vertical and the solids fraction was measured. 60. The rotation causes the material to shear and dilate, and hence the solids fraction is likely to be lower than it is in the experiment used to obtain a dense packing. Subsequent measurements of Scott and Kilgour (1969) and also the computer simulations of hard-sphere fluids (Berryman, 1983) have corroborated the preceding estimate of νdrp .
1990), the width was 27 Cambridge Books Online © Cambridge University Press, 2010 8:10 P1: SFL BOOK1 CUUS109-Rao 978 0 521 57166 1 April 5, 2008 Introduction about 63 particle diameters. Hence a much larger number of particles have to be simulated for comparison with typical experimental results. Similarly, with reference to flow through bunkers, the size of the exit slot was chosen as 5–10 particle diameters in most of the studies cited earlier. This was done mainly to reduce the computation time.